Soldering, Plating and Stone Setting
Swarovski offers an ideal product selection for soldering, allowing for simple and problem-free production of state-of-the-art jewelry pieces and accessories. Further techniques, such as plating and stone setting, complement the comprehensive and diverse application options offered by Swarovski.
The following products are suitable for soldering, plating, and stone setting: Round Stones, Fancy Stones, Settings, Flat Backs No Hotfix and Cupchains and Findings.
How to Solder Crystals into Intricate Jewelry PiecesFollow these simple application steps to create an elegant jewelry accessory with affixed Swarovski crystals.
1. Cut the Cupchain to the required length
2. Solder the original jewelry model and strengthen with wire
3. Gently press the Cupchain into the solder mold
4. Remove the soldered Cupchain from the mold once the impression material hardens
What Else Should I Consider When Soldering Jewelry?• Use clean, grease-free materials and tools to ensure proper application
• Wear protective clothing, eyewear and gloves
• Consider key elements such as soldering duration, temperature and flame size instructions when manufacturing soldered Cupchain pieces – avoid overheating and crystal damage
• Don’t forget: solder color change and solder quantity per application – prevent jewelry corrosion. Scroll through our soldering directives for an illustrated guide
Three simple steps to stone setting jewelry by hand
1. Carefully hold the cup using tweezers or suitable pliers
2. Place the crystal in the setting using a pair of tweezers
3. Prong setting: Press in place the cup’s prongs using a setting closer – for other forms, prongs are individually closed in opposite positions
Alternative methods of crystal application
Once the crystals are set, they can be sewn onto textiles and leather, soldered together using Cupchains, applied onto the textile by machine using claws, or threaded, utilizing the eyelets within the setting.
What is Jewelry Plating?For a perfect finish, a plating process can conclude the production process of a jewelry piece or accessory. During this process, metallic coatings are electrolytically added to the surface of the material to give a certain color and look.
What are the key criteria for plating Swarovski crystals?
1. Select reliable electrolyte suppliers who provide detailed operating guidelines
2. Select suitable high performance electrolytes
3. Ensure careful maintenance of the unit and electrolytes
4. Use recommended settings for plating Cupchains
What are the most important steps for plating crystals?
• Hot degreasing
• Electrolytic degreasing
• Cyanide copper plating
• Pyrophosphate copper plating
• Bright copper plating
• Palladium coating
• Silver coating
• Gold coating
• Rhodium coating
• Tarnish protection